Photo By tammyzrecipez
- 3 cups sugar (Splenda works great!)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 6 eggs, separated, plus 2 additional egg yolks (8 egg yolks altogether)
- 7 cups of milk (soy milk not recommended)
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 16-ounce box of vanilla wafers
- 10-12 medium bananas (ripe not green, black, or brown) peeled and sliced.
Thoroughly mix 2½ cups of the sugar, the flour, and cornstarch in a large heavy saucepan. Lightly beat the 8 egg yolks; combine milk and egg yolks and whisk into sugar mixture. Add margarine and cook over medium heat (avoid scolding), stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 1-teaspoon of the vanilla. Cool. Preheat oven to 4250F. Line bottom of a 13X9X2-inch baking dish with one-third of vanilla wafers; layer one-third of bananas and one-third of custard on top. Repeat layers twice. Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, 1-tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in remaining 1-tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in remaining 1-teaspoon vanilla. Spread over custard, sealing to edges. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Chill overnight before serving.