1) Stick to a regular sleep schedule---even on weekends.
2) Exercise regularly---avoid exercise in the late evening.
3) Go to bed only when sleepy.
4) Put your worries away when you go to bed.
5) Do something relaxing and enjoyable before bedtime.
6) Make your bedroom quiet and comfortable.
7) Avoid large meals just before bedtime.
8) If you cannot sleep within 15 to 20 minutes get up and go to another room. Return to bed only when drowsy.
9) Remove the clock from eyesight.
Do not nap during the day. If you must nap, limit it to 30 minutes in the early afternoon.
10) Avoid alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine use.
11) Have your pharmacist check your medications for potential sleep effects.
12) Avoid bright lights (e.g. from TV, computers, video games) before bed.